What Is Medicare?


Medicare is health insurance for adults who are age 65 or older or certain younger people who are disabled.

You can sign up for Part A and/or Part B between January 1–March 31 each year if you:

  • didn't sign up before and

  • you are not eligible for a special enrollment period and

  • you didn't sign up when you were first eligible. (Under certain conditions, people can switch plans or sign up at other times.)

The  Medicare.gov website  has a lot of information and is worth exploring.

The Medicare.gov website has a lot of information and is worth exploring.

Medicare costs money for most people. There is a premium for Medicare Part B.  For everyone, Medicare covers 80% of your medical costs while you are responsible for the other 20%.  Depending on your income, you could qualify for the Medicare Savings Program which may help pay Medicare Part B premiums, deductibles and co-pays. You can also read more about Extra Help for prescriptions here.

There is assistance available to help low-income individuals and couples with their Medicare costs.  To find out about these programs and how to enroll, please contact the Medicaid Medicare Assistance Program (MMAP).  

Are you confused by your Part D/Prescription options? MMAP counselors are trained to help seniors and others who qualify for Medicare enroll in the different parts of Medicare and finding supplemental programs to help with the costs.  

Contact MMAP to set up a phone appointment or find a counselor near you.  If you are familiar with the Washtenaw Health Plan (WHP) office, you can request an appointment at our office.  You can also contact the WHP office to set up an appointment with a counselor in our offices by calling 734-544-3030.

There are Medicaid Medicare Assistance Programs in every state. They are called SHIP programs, and you can find the contact information for other states here.


Medicare Medicaid Assistance Program