Do you need help getting food to eat?

Find out if you might qualify for SNAP benefits (food assistance, or food stamps) by using this quick Food Stamp calculator.

If it looks like you might qualify, you can fill out the application at

You will need information about your income, assets (including bank accounts and car registrations), rent/mortgage, utilities, and immigration status, and it is best to have that information available to upload into your mibridges account before you do the application. You can also find more information about SNAP benefits at the Michigan Food Assistance Partnership web site.

There are special summer food programs for kids. For Washtenaw County, find out more here.

Some things to know about food assistance

  • Unlike Medicaid, there are asset limits for food assistance.

  • You are eligible for more money if you pay your own utilities or get a home heating credit.

  • Children with permanent resident cards are eligible in Michigan for food assistance, while adults are not.

  • There are limits on food assistance for Able-bodied Adults Without Dependents (ABAWDs) in many Michigan counties, including Washtenaw. Find out more about this here.

Do you need food now? 

In Washtenaw County, lists of meal sites and food pantries can be found on the Food Gatherers website

Anywhere else in the United States, search for local food pantries and food banks at

WIC is a way for pregnant women and children under age 5 to get additional food.